Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thanks, my friend! (July 19)

Once again, better late than never. I'm trying to keep my little meme going to recognize at least one amazing woman on a weekly basis. Women supporting each other is a big deal to me, as everyone deserves a small pat on the back from time to time. Some more than others. That's the least we can do for one another.

A commonly used sexist comment I've heard over many years in the work world is that women bosses are much harder to work for than men. I don't agree, and one reason why is having worked for my friend and former supervisor, Ruthie. She was a mentor to me and one of the most even keel, diplomatic managers with whom I have had the pleasure to work.  

It's no matter how long she and I go between conversations, we simply pick up where we left off the last one. It's not often enough, though.  Ruthie is an amazing person with the patience of a saint. There are two extraordinary girls in Toronto who are growing into bright, beautiful young women, for which I'm sure she deserves most of the credit. Ruthie leads by great example, with grace and tolerance. She had my back at a time I needed it in life, which I appreciated very much.    

Career is important to her, as evident in her work ethic and love of broadcasting. If you want to know what's going on in the world, ask this news junkie. No task is too intimidating for her, and Ruthie leads her crew to their greatest potential. I miss being in a remote truck with her, but I miss her more on a personal level. 

Almost every time I put my sunglasses on top of my head or tell someone to "back off," I think of my friend. I never heard the word "ratbag" before I met her but now use it on a regular basis. She had such courage to move so far away to the States on a new adventure in her life, but she is back where she loves to be, and I'm glad for her. It makes me smile to see Ruthie's gorgeous face in travel pictures (like the stolen one shown above) and know how much she is relishing life. She deserves all the best!  


Tell someone in your life just how important they are. Use this picture, too, if you, like. It only takes a minute and could bring them joy. We all need some of that!

    

2 comments:

  1. Ya, I think of the times we were up on the 3rd floor stairs smoking outside and being from Toronto, it could be 30 below and all she would have on was her scarf. She is my Bon Ami!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it sad not to see her anymore? Sandy & I drove up to visit her a few years back, and she came all the way back here for my wedding in '04. Ruthie is amazing!

    ReplyDelete