Tuesday, August 21, 2012

my campaign against sexism

Yesterday I was especially embarrassed to be a Missourian.  The parade of idiots started long ago with US Attorney and former Missouri Governor John Ashcroft and lately continued with Representative Billy Long.  It is horrifying to see all these out-of-touch, sexist, bigoted asshat politicians hailing from our state open their fat, hateful mouths.  They further prove to the world that we live in a backwards, socially- and morally-retarded region of the United States.  And now Todd Akin is added to the muddled equation.  How did we get so lucky in Missouri?  

I love it here otherwise but wish we could kick them out.  We live in a fairly beautiful state, aside from the humidity, that is being polluted by ultra-conservatism and general jackassery.
from rosietheriveterphotos.com

This ignorance leads me to the subject of my campaign against sexism.  My campaign may be a feeble attempt to do something, at least a little something, to express my outrage at common-place sexism against women in modern society.  I could be challenged for my exclusion of men, but not really.  Being female places us in a constant barrage of arrogant, ill-informed, prejudice in a so-called modern day society.  We are discriminated against in wages, safety, and "good ol' boy" public opinion as second-class citizens.  "Ah, shucks, little lady.  You get paid 70 cents to our dollar.  Whatsamatter with that?  Get back to my supper and diaper that yammerin' baby while yer at it!"  

At the suggestion of the MissRepresentation team, I vow to at least continue my Twitter campaign against all types sexist behavior in comments and advertising I see around me.  It happens every day, so there should be no problem staying active.  

I heard an approximately 12-year old boy at the swimming pool this weekend tell his friends on the steps say, "Come on, guys -- you look like a bunch of women sitting there."  As an un-involved stranger and eavesdropper of his budding-little-misogynist comment, I stated in a very loud voice, "There's nothing wrong with that."  They should be so lucky.  An adult male with their group heard me and smiled back at me.  I don't know if it was a simple acknowledgement, agreement or disdain, but he certainly didn't respond verbally.

MissRep's to do list includes:

Step 1: Talk to your friends, family and neighbors, and decide what issue you'd like to tackle.

Step 2: Research your issue and decide exactly how you will take action. 

Step 3: Set a goal for your campaign - from numbers of signatures to phone calls made - and begin implementing your plan


The plan:
Tweet my disdain to any individual, especially politicians, who makes sexist comments in public or a publicized personal setting become known through "legitimate" (pun intended), verifiable sources.  Tweet my consumer declaration on non-support (#notbuyingit) to any organization that overtly or inadvertently expressed sexist beliefs or views, especially in advertising, or otherwise uses sexist policy this is widely known and provable.  This blog has a very small following, but I ask anyone reading it to take some sort of personal action.  The need to do so is apparent on an every-day basis, and to deny such is to willingly keep your head buried in the sand of patriarchy.  Think for yourselves, and stand up for women.      



photo source: Obama for Women via Facebook

1 comment:

  1. awesome! i sometimes feel that there's so little one person can actually do to make a difference, but every little bit helps. i just endured some massive harassment for calling out sexists via twitter, but i can't stop. keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete