Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My bloody and bruised Valentine

I wish celebrity status did not equate royalty in America.  The 2012 Grammys reminded me so much of this travesty.  Victims of domestic violence probably felt the same way as this blogger:

feministing

It's still too soon, Grammy producers.  In my opinion, this person (who shall remain nameless here lest I vomit) was never actually punished for battering Rihanna.  Perhaps he shouldn't have to pay for his past so-called mistake, but he didn't have to pay attention but a very short stay in jail.  He was/is above scrutiny because of his fame, and that more than sucks.  He has a permanent Get Out of Jail Free card tucked in his pocket for life.  I, as a random schmoe, couldn't wreck a CBS dressing room and fly away free as bird, much less batter another human being.

Why isn't he working at a shelter for victims of domestic assault?  Why is he not doing PSAs denouncing violence and promoting anger management?  Why isn't he doing something besides getting more tattoos and continuing to pull in the big cash?

I'm just as guilty -- I watched his performance on the show.  I thought of his despicable behavior, seethed for a moment, and then kept on watching.  He wailed about "you're so beautiful, girl," or some such shit, and I shook my head in disbelief.  But I have never taken a stand by voicing my opinion to any of the powers that be on the network or with the Grammy production.  Not that my opinion would count for anything in their minds, but I would have done something.

Apparently many girls trivialized the situation further by tweeting their naive, dare say ignorant, comments about taking it from someone like him because he's cute and famous.  We, as a society, have taught these girls it is OKAY to accept this type of behavior.  They stand to become victims themselves and don't seem to care.

I especially love the comments on the article listed above.  There are some very astute perceptions there, especially about all the abusers of past to whom we give a pass because of their supposed status in our caste system. Here's another for you:

hello giggles


Fully realizing my 180 here, (can you see me as a newsreader?), on a much lighter note:

Instead, I wish more people paid attention to suggestions such as this one from MissRepresentation.org.  The feminist writers there say today is a day to ...

"Write yourself a Valentine. List the things you like about yourself in your personal valentine. And, when you write others cards, remember to avoid complimenting physical appearance and instead focus on their talents, generosity, unique personality, and/or intelligence."

No comments:

Post a Comment