Thursday, February 2, 2012

Let's try this!

That's "let's" in the proverbial sense of everybody on the internet being the us in the contraction of "let us."  Let's try this experiment ... making my novella "Contained" available FREE on Amazon for the next five days.  


Another author recently wrote on Blogspot of his experience doing so with great success (see David Kazzie).  He had upwards of 100 comments on his entry, including my own, which is more people than have probably ever visited my blog here and on Wordpress combined.  Unfortunately, my combined count probably includes how many times I've viewed them myself.

Regardless, I'm hoping to see some sort of impact.  My inner debate is whether I would rather see people download it simply for the exposure (but, of course, critical reviews to possibly follow) or leave it up for the measly price of $0.99 for the selling factor.  There has been a handful of interest, or I should say willingness to read it for free, through my Goodreads friends.  They are mainly avid readers I "know" through a different online community.  It is good to see my title listed there, though.

It narrows down to a purpose for my writing in the first place, and I have to ask myself if it is writing for writing's sake.  I like to think of it as a personal outlet more than being a desire for others to take notice.   

The freebie is offered through February 6, and perhaps sales will have a jump if people then see it "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought..." section.  There's also the matter of not getting ahead of myself.  Ego gets a person nowhere in my opinion.  It took me 44 years to get to this point with my writing, so what's the hurry, right?
  
As I dip my toe into these experimental waters, I hope to enjoy the swim.   



1 comment:

  1. Post-experiment update: Number of downloads was 2134 and highest ranking was #3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > Adventure. I'd call that a success! It will be interesting to see if the results transfer to any actual purchases being generated.

    ReplyDelete